Monday, July 16, 2012

will YOU speak?

   I am currently on the last chapter of Grace Mally's new book, "Will Our Generation Speak? A Call to be Bold With the Gospel." I had the blessing of receiving it for free, since I am a Bright Lights leader; and I'd have to say it's one of the best free gifts ever ever received.

       Miss Mally's book is a desparate cry for the awakening of this generation to be bold with the gospel. John 4:35, "Say not ye, There are yet four months, and then cometh harvest? behold, I say unto you. Lift up your eyes and look on the fields: for they are white already to harvest." (emphasis added) This has been a convicting, but encouraging read - I love being challenged! 


       Grace begins her book by debunking myths and fears that so often tie our hands and feet, holding us back from being a witness for God. You know how full-grown elephants can be "tied" by a single rope and not move? While they are young, elephants are trained to stay "tied" by putting a chain around their ankle. They fight and fight it, but to no avail. If they fight hard enough, they'll even injure themselves. They finally come to the conclusion that while there is something around that ankle, they cannot move.

        How similar it is with us and the devil's attempts to paralyze us from doing what God commands. He has a small thread around our ankle and we have begun to believe the lie that he tells us: "You're not qualified to go soul-winning. Let someone with more experience do that," "You just don't have the type of personality  that goes up to strangers and has a spiritual conversation," "You're going to be rejected." We're so afraid of failure, of what people will think of us, of not being able to answer their questions, and the excuses go on and on.



       At the same time in her book, Grace encourages by stating the fact that young people do have a voice - adults are curious about us and the way we think, they will listen. 


      
       This weekend, my family, some friends and I attended a local fair and watched the last event - a demolition derby. There was quite a crowd (for a country fair, that is) and I decided to begin implementing everything I've learned from Grace Mally's book. Of course, as soon as I made that decision, there was quite the spiritual battle raging. I had already prayed before we got there that the Lord would bless my efforts and lead me to the people He wished me to talk to. My purse also was armed with many Bible tracts. Sitting in the bleachers, I pretended to be interested in the derby, but was really struggling. For the next ten minutes, I simply practiced in my mind how I would introduce myself, what to say, etc... I finally decided it was now or never. God was with me and that's all I needed.

       Looking back, I smile at how God, like the loving Father He is, helped me during my first conversation. I was approaching a couple of junior high kids standing in line for lemon aid and to my astonishment, one of them was a girl from our Church. She gave me a hug and introduced me to her friends. My confidence was boosted as I began to hand  a "smart card" to her friends. They thought the test was fun and found the back interesting. We talked for a little while, then I left so they could order.



       I decided to use this conversation starter: "Hi!" (exchange names, greetings or some small talk) "Well, can I ask you a question?" (I had all good responses! Everyone said yes) "What do you think happens when you die?" I received many different replies on this: "I think we'll be like angels," one girl told me. "You're just dead," was the cold reply of a woman working at a stand. "uhhh... heaven?" was the response of a few. Many simply said, "I have no clue!" 


       Overall, I had many good conversations through the night and was so encouraged! God really gave me the strength I needed, boldness, and a joy that could not be helped. [smile] 

No comments:

Post a Comment