Friday, July 6, 2012

culture shock

     For the past two months or so I have been learning ASL - American Sign Language. Our Church has a sizable Deaf ministry, and tired of only being able to say, "Hi! How are you?", I decided to begin learning. Now there are two different dialects, if you will, in sign language. There is ASL and there is English. As I understand it, the English is more exact and most signs originate and are carried out with the alphabet letter of that particular word. Whereas, ASL is signed at a faster pace without the burdensome "ands," "ifs," "buts,"   "thes," "ats," etc...  Some ASL signs are done with the alphabet letters, but not all. Something else about ASL - it is neither a written, nor a spoken language; it is solely visual. Because of this, all grammar is read through facial expressions and body language. Thus, I am trying to become more animated! [smile]

     I just returned last week from a Deaf Church Camp in Ceder River, Iowa (along with many of the Deaf from Church). I thought being submerged into their culture and language would be a great way to learn a lot in a small amount of time, and boy was that true! I loved being with the Deaf and they were so helpful when they saw I was learning and really trying to understand. One woman and I were chatting about Florida and she ended up having to spell out a certain word 3-4 times before I finally understood. I felt rather dumb afterwards, but she was very gracious and patient. I never pretended I understood when I didn't and she never continued if I was uncertain.

     On day #1, I was so fascinated watching all the Deaf communicate that I didn't talk much (there weren't too many to verbally talk to anyway). Later, while preparing to play a field game, I used my newly learned signs to indicate to some of the Deaf what we were going to do. They responded and joined the game. One of them was a girl around sixteen years old. She and I talked briefly (in sign). She asked my name and I spelled it out and showed her my sign name, she also proceeded to do the same. I did not talk during the game, but to my surprise I heard the same girl (whom I thought was deaf) yell, "GO, ANGIE!!" I was confused momentarily, but we ended up talking later and laughing over our miscommunication. [smile]

     Our Deaf minister's wife helped me so much! Many mornings, she and I sat on the benches outside the cabins with the other Deaf sipping coffee, talking and laughing. There were quite a few hearing people at camp as well. All the staff and the director, the leaders of the groups which came, some family members of the Deaf, and a girl my age who was also learning sign. I enjoyed talking with them, but tried to spend the majority of my time learning from the Deaf.

     Many have the misconception, as I did, that the Deaf are quiet. This is somewhat true, but not entirely. I joked that I was deaf in one ear when I returned. Overall, I had a wonderful week and am now able to communicate better with those in our Church. But what I am really excited about is being able to witness to the Deaf, anywhere, any place.

"Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature." ~ Mark 16:15

No comments:

Post a Comment